Edition 1278
19 July 2014
Edition: 1278

Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.

Twitter

BBC satellite signal loss for Portugal expats

by Brendan de Beer, in News · 05-02-2014 15:12:00 · 101 Comments

Many people in Portugal with access to Freesat television would have switched on their televisions this morning to find they have no signal for any of BBC's channels. This is the result of a switch over on Thursday morning to a new satellite.

BBC satellite signal loss for Portugal expats

The loss is not unique to Portugal, and readers across the border in Spain have this morning confirmed the loss of all BBC channels in that country.

The BBC recently issued a statement that it will be migrating to a new satellite during the early hours of Thursday morning.

The BBC’s services to Sky and Freesat homes are carried on six transponders on satellites operated by SES Astra located at 28.2°East.

In February 2012, one of these satellites (Astra 2D) was retired and BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is shortly to be moved to its permanent position at 19°East, so the affected BBC services will be transferring to a new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East).

This took place in the early hours of Thursday 6th February 2014. Care has been taken to ensure the minimum of impact to UK viewers both during and after the change, such that no viewer actions should be required.

ITV and Channel 4 have said nothing yet as to when the changeover for them might be, but it is expected to be soon.

SKY have migrated some channels, and so far  no reports of a loss in reception anywhere on the Iberian Peninsula has been reported.

Comments

We bought a new huge Freesat dish and TV last year in Algarve and only used it for two weeks. Going out shortly, have no internet or computer so what's our options, if any?
by Jane from UK on 04-07-2014 09:54:00
by Jane from UK on 04-07-2014 09:37:00
Hi Jordon
just used iptv-anywhere.com, box arrived last week and me and my wife are made up , couldn't get used to all the internet rigmarole of trying to watch tv on our laptop. this box just connects to tv and hey presto televison
we got free delivery as-well "result"
by brian from Other on 27-06-2014 11:12:00
Hi i have manged to get all my UK channels bbc ,itv etc.. back , and in great quality including a 7 day catchup service so i don't miss any programmes www.iptv-anywhere.com i tried filmon but although free ,wasn't impressed by the quality
roll on the world cup
by jordon from Other on 29-05-2014 05:05:00
I managed to get BBC TV on overplay.net for 9 euros a month..think the BBC is mean to change the service...It will affect relations between Britain and the countries who have had to mess about like this. What does is cost to send BBC channels
to these counties, probably nothing!
by anne cumpson from UK on 09-05-2014 03:06:00
When I'm down at my villa in Algarve I've switched to using the internet for watching TV. My internet is fast enough to stream without buffering so is fine. I watch BBC, ITV & CH4 via a VPN called "Laptop Telly" http://www.laptoptelly.com I got it working fine on my Mac plugged into the TV, will have a go at getting it running directly through the smart TV.
by Fergus from UK on 07-05-2014 02:20:00
It's unfortunate, but inevitible it was going to happen (thanks to the introduction of satellite spot beams and EU dictatorship). There is no legal onus on the BBC to transmit its main UK channels to any other country. Until they see sense and let UK/European citizens watch UK tv in another part of Europe, the only practical option now seems to be TVcatchup.com and a proxy. I can connect my laptop to my TV via the HDMI port and stream tv full screen. It's not the highest quality, but it will do in the meantime.
by Kevin from Algarve on 28-03-2014 07:25:00
Just a quick one to ask if any people know why I can not get sky in Portugal even though I have a sky account back in Ireland...the dish I have is 1 mt....
Is it that I just need to reset my dish....?
by Kenny from Lisbon on 27-03-2014 03:44:00
If the BBC had to generate their own revenue, I am sure they would provide a service to Ex-Pats at a cost of course, but whilst they continue to be supplied with a never ending source of income that they continue to waste, this will never happen.
Stop giving the BBC license payers money and make them earn their own funding !
by Roy from UK on 21-03-2014 10:29:00
From near Avignon,France - have 'fine tuned' our dish and with just a slight increase in signal strength have got back all the UK channels we had before, so to others in the South of France all hope is not lost - try getting your signal strength better and maybe you'll get your channels back too.
by Sue from Other on 06-03-2014 02:54:00
People in northern Europe who still receive free overspill signal from UK satellite channels and those further south, eg Portugal and Spain, who rue its loss would, almost to a man, be happy to pay the £145 BBC licence fee. It is a gross disservice to the UK taxpayer that they do not broadcast a scrambled signal throughout Europe available by subscription only.
by Wendy Grindle from Algarve on 05-03-2014 06:53:00
All channels are are working except in HD
by john from Other on 05-03-2014 11:18:00
Lost signal in Seville as well (South West Andalusia). A 80 cm dish was perfectly capable of doing the finest work... up to now.

Pity, BBC is high quality compared to the shit*y Spanish DVB channels
by Carlos Serra from Other on 02-03-2014 08:16:00
Unfortunately the "modicum" of BBC channels are crap
by andrew simpson from Lisbon on 22-02-2014 12:10:00
I have a 120 cm dish in southern germany, but the signal strength is borderline currently. Seems to work better late at night.
by Dave from Other on 22-02-2014 09:02:00
Just use VPN or Smart DNS provider both will get you your UK channels back, probably another bunch of channels as well. See http://thevpn.guru/vpn-vs-dns-comparison-bypass-location-restrictions/
by Alex from Lisbon on 21-02-2014 12:39:00
If you have internet access it looks like an iptv box (look on amazon or ebay). Approx price £100 will allow you to stream uk tv channels and films
by Kath from UK on 19-02-2014 10:56:00
We are in the Algarve. We would not mind paying for BBC or ITV or Channel 4. We don't have a Sky box as believe it or not we don't think there is much to see on Sky or to quote a farmhouse song "57channels and nothing on". Has anyone in Portugal tried watching Portuguese TV, you have to be brain dead. My husband is Portuguese and couldn't watch it. The British in the UK who moan about the BBC should look at foreign tv to see what there is to moan about
by Elaine from Algarve on 18-02-2014 07:31:00
Lost reception in Eastern Algarve. If you have internet access you can always download the filmon App , via your IOS device. If you buy another simple device called Apple TV that also allows you to watch your lost Uk programs on your main TV set via Airplay. Apple TV sells for around 100 euros in Worten, but you will also need to buy a cable to connect the device to your TV set.
by Ian smith from Algarve on 16-02-2014 04:50:00
Live nr Avignon,France. On checking through my sky box 'all channels' have found that we still have 105 Channel 5, 139 More 4 + 1, 206 ITV4 + 1, 501 Sky News, 503 BBC News, 951 BBC1 Scotland, 956 BBC1 Yorks, BBC2 NI and 978 BBCRB2, plus a few others and some bbc radio stations, so all is not lost, and my dish needs fine tuning as its only on about 30% strength at the moment. 23yrs here so french tv is not a problem but its nice now and then to watch UK tv.
by Sue from Other on 15-02-2014 09:18:00
have a look on YouTube....Eureka tv.also on e bay same title....I have the English channels..and a lot more..thru mifi on my tv in my apartment..legit as well.selling the info for £20...
by Paul matthews from Algarve on 13-02-2014 02:26:00
i'm portuguese & to be honest, personally i couldn't care less about it…however, i DO empathise with ''ex-pats'' living here & all over Europe !!

MANY live both abroad & the UK, pay their licence fee back home &….don't get to watch their paid share while others live abroad permanently ( can you REALLY blame them or is it just envy ?.. ) & don't even have the option to get a paid service

the whole thing, while understandable from a purely technical point of view ( if the satellite signal doesn't reach, it doesn't reach, that's all there is to it..) seems extremely short-sighted
after all, how expensive would it be to implement said paid service & get, i don't know the stats but what ? a couple hundred thousand monthly customers ? maybe half a million distributed across Europe ?

not worth it it seems…………………or just plain old stupid !? whatever…

at the same time it's so interesting how we are CONSTANTLY bombarded with ''sound bites'' that prove to be nothing more than hollow at best : globalisation, global village, et al…..

these seem to only get any meaning when companies want to expand their profits & move out manufacturing facilities from their home countries to others where salaries/benefits/labour laws are less…..shall we say stringent to keep it polite ? which means LESS jobs back home as well, taxes & so on...

the whole thing is rather pathetic & will only force MANY people into bypassing the technology.
the internet IS a viable solution, subscribing to local cable TV networks which will carry a modicum of UK channels is another

humans being the way they are, one thing that doesn't surprise AT ALL, is the number of REAL BITCHY COMMENTS here along the lines of : ''…if they choose to live abroad under the sun, why should they, blah, blah, blah…'' or so

my goodness, that's pathetic, shortsighted AND sad ( not to mention gratuitously mean.. ) all neatly wrapped up in each poor excuse of a human being - what a great lost opportunity to keep quiet under their rock….

my advice ? Google it & steer clear of a myriad of services which WILL creep up offering this world & the next in exchange for considerable amounts of money by installing set top boxes, dishes, etc….which most likely will stop working AT ANY MOMENT

sorting this SHOULDN'T be any more difficult than getting the right online provider of content for a reasonable monthly fee & that's all there is to it

& thus the UK keeps isolating itself further from Europe………..well done decision makers/bean counters !! this OBVIOUSLY can only serve UK interests even better

what a joke...

by nuno baptista from Algarve on 13-02-2014 12:34:00
Darren from UK; Its not the ex-pats fault that the BBC signal was Free Its the Fault of the BBC for allowing their signal to be received free of charge unlike like Sky movie channels that are scrambled util you subscribe.If you lived in Europe you too would have watched the BBC channels `for free` you would hardly refuse to switch the TV on in respect to people living in the UK.
by Troy from UK on 13-02-2014 09:24:00
I pay £ 140:00 for a TV licence/stealth TAX a year even if I don't watch BBC, I live in Cold /Wet /Windy UK not Sunny/Cheap ex- pat Algarve,France,Spain Why should you benefit from my payment !
by Darren from UK on 12-02-2014 07:12:00
I have been using a reliable service, for over two years now, which allows me to watch RTE, BBC, ITV and Netflix etc., without having to use a full VPN service.

OverPlay (https://www.overplay.net/#a_aid=4284640279) lets you watch all of the above services and more, wherever you are in the world. It bypasses the geo-blocking on most tv sites.

OverPlay's SmartDNS service, fools the site using a filter, so you that you continue using your normal broadband service. When you use a VPN, you are routed through that particular country and this can really slow things down.

I pay US$5 (€3.90) a month through PayPal, for their SmartDNS service. It can be started/stopped every other month if needed. They offer good customer support and the site has helpful guides for setting up the service.

Once set up, you can use it on a pc, smartphone, iPad, smart tv etc. Alternatively, you can set it up on your router, so that all devices using the router get the benefit. It doesn't affect your download speeds.

I use either the RTE live streams, or AerTV.ie to watch most of the Irish GAA, soccer and rugby. If you have SkyGo, it also works outside of Ireland/UK. Similarly, it works with Netflix (you can change region to US or UK/Irl), BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Al Jazeera Sports (now BeIn Sports - sometimes!) etc.

By linking up your Sky+ (newer) box to the internet (using Sky On Demand Connector £21.95/€12.99, Ethernet cable, or internet Power Plugs) and having OverPlay set up on your router, you should also be able to avail of the Sky on Demand services.

I watch most UK/Irish content through a mini pc (or laptop), connected to my HDTV. I can also watch BBC iPlayer, or Netflix through my Samsung Blu-ray Player.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Michael Cunningham
by Michael Cunningham from Algarve on 12-02-2014 04:56:00
located in Charente-Maritime. With 60cm dish getting 90%/75% signal/quality with old Sky box which I use for BBC etc.
Wherever you are if you can access FTA channels from various countries why feel it's a bit dodgy, after al they are FTA.
by will from Other on 12-02-2014 03:04:00
Loss of all British Channels, BBC, ITV, etc.
le Gard,Languedoc, France
by Ian Lunn from Other on 11-02-2014 10:54:00
All BBC and now ITV and other main channels lost in Turin area of Italy (120cm dish) Astra 28.2E is now officially pants.
by Charlie from Other on 11-02-2014 09:09:00
There are people avoiding paying the TV licence in the UK imagine the resources needed to chase non payers all over Europe the cost would not cover the return.
I think the only solution to this problem is with the Portuguese broadcasting authoritative if they paid the BBC and passed on a charge to the customer via pay to view or a yearly subscription charge then the problem would be solved for ever, and the Portuguese authority would make a nice profit.
by Troy from UK on 11-02-2014 07:16:00
We too have lost BBC in central Portugal but we can pick it up on the internet on www.filmon.com great reception and you can record shows as well.
We would happily pay a licence fee to get our English TV, helps our children with their English and we love the programmes. We also watch Portugese TV but prefer UK
by Joanne from Other on 11-02-2014 04:41:00
What Jojo writes about copyright ownership makes perfect sense but could anybody explain to me why it does not seem to affect German broadcasters. Thanks to them I can watch free Eurosport (although in German) and Sport 1 (with 10 minute highlights of all Bundesliga games) all over Europe on Astra at 19 deg. East.
In addition there are several free HD channels on the same satellite.
by andyraj from Algarve on 11-02-2014 02:18:00
try theses numbers on the t,v.as were getting these in english. 0342----0343--thru to 0359 at least you can view films etc plus cnn.for world news also sky news on 672 good luck
by barbara green from Algarve on 11-02-2014 02:13:00
I am waiting for our 90cm dish to be re-aligned here in the S of France as it was only vaguely pointing towards Astra in the first place. Fingers crossed!
It is a shame for us, but we can hardly complain. What might also have been considered is the effect on those foreigners who rely on UK channels as an aid to help with learning to speak English. UK channels act as a sort of digital ambassador for the UK, influencing and winning over our European neighbours, supporting the tourist industry and promoting UK brands...
by Richard from Other on 11-02-2014 07:29:00
Am astonished at the lack of understanding of many of the people posting on this issue. BBC, SKY et al are 'broadcasters'. They distribute the material (programmes) made by dozens and dozens of other companies. Yes, of course, some of them actually make their own programmes as well but in this is an expensive exercise. For example, British viewers should think about the pleasure gained from watching Borgen (Danish), Broen [The Bridge] (Danish/Swedish), Engrenages (French) and many more. The creators and owners of these programmes negotiate rights with other 'broadcasters' to show them in specific territories. BBC et al is pretty much obligated to reduce their transmission footprint as it is unreasonable for them to agree a deal for UK transmission then broadcast it to Italy, Spain and Portugal for example. As a French resident I would love to have all these varied national programmes but recognise the current system of copyright ownership precludes this. Whether you agree with it or not [I don't] don't bash the organisations that are required to comply with national laws and specific distribution contracts. I wish we could all have equal access to programme material wherever it was produced [preferably free] but we need to recognise how people actually get paid for their labour in making these programmes.
by Jojo from Other on 11-02-2014 01:58:00
Spent a lot of money on my set up for nothing
by john from Other on 08-02-2014 04:08:00
People are really upset, many of the ex-pats in France have been paying their tv licence. They feel cut off from the UK. The loss of the radio is especially upsetting. They do watch French news, but even the French prefer the BBC. There are big events such as The World Cup and Wimbledon. The Winter Olympics and Six Nations which are on now, which they will miss. The BBC and ITV will loose a large share of the audience. This appears to be anti- European and very, shortsighted. Has the BBC forgotten that many of the foreign dramas are made with and for the BBC, and will not be accessable to the people in those countries.
by Emmy from UK on 08-02-2014 02:29:00
Can I expect a refund from SKY now that they are not able to provide me with the programs they promised when I first took out my contract with them? Also my grand-daughter is a Portuguese Actress who can be seen on T.V. every night...although she earns her living from Portuguese Television she considers it to be extremely sub-standard. Probably why so many people (Portuguese included) prefer to watch English and American Channels. Come on SKY, fight our corner!!
by sid from Algarve on 08-02-2014 01:19:00
A huge los for those of su living abroad. We're in the basque country near San Sebastián and would be happy to pay for watching the BBC but unfortunately that option is not available fo us.
by Janice from Other on 08-02-2014 10:23:00
I lost them too here in Germany. I have now got my channels back. Check your satellites on your menu programme or do a searchof the skies using your remote control. You should be able to find Astra 28.2E. The BBC channels that are no longer working are also on the Astra 28.2E but looking at the information, some numbers (whatever they mean) are different. Good luck.
by Paul from Other on 08-02-2014 10:19:00
Venice, Italy. I'm in the same boat as Catherine, I live in an area where there are only Italians, I speak fluent Italian and work in a office with Italians (so I don't think I could be labeled "lazy expat"). Italian TV is terrible....
by chris faron from Other on 08-02-2014 08:51:00
I live in the Algarve and the UK how many people living in other countries have paid their BBC licence fee ?Why should you get it for nothing .The Sky fee only covers their transmitted programmes.
No body has made a comment if you can get BBC/ITV catch up on Sky Plus demand internet service
by Mike from Algarve on 08-02-2014 08:11:00
All BBC gone in SW-Germany. Will investigate. I am only on 60cm. People please post your dish size.
by LS from Other on 08-02-2014 12:45:00
This is the BBC. The BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation. Should've stayed at home folks. Sorry. No sympathy.
by Kev from UK on 08-02-2014 12:06:00
All BBC's gone in Bilbao Northern Spain
by Chasba from Other on 07-02-2014 11:22:00
Trevor from the Algarve mentioned an internet
box (40 quid). Does anybody have more details about this?
by Dave from Other on 07-02-2014 08:56:00
Lost in toulouse too. Found bbc1 south on sky 965 tho
by Peter from Other on 07-02-2014 08:23:00
For goodness sake, some people on here need to get real. BBC, ITV, C4 etc are UK broadcasting Companies who's sole responsibilty is to broadcast to the UK. They do not have any obligation, or legal right, to broadcast to a wider audience across Europe just because a few expats happened to have moved there by their own choice. The fact that you have received these channels for years is irrelevant - think yourselves lucky that you've had it for all these years without paying anything. Even if you are a UK resident, paying the licence fee in the UK, it does not give you the right to watch UK broadcasts outside of the UK. If you choose to either live, or spend long periods abroad, and can't watch your favourite TV programmes then that's tough luck. It is really your choice. I live in the UK and spend 4-5 months a year in the Algarve but it's never bothered me about not having UK TV, that's not what I come here for.
by John from Algarve on 07-02-2014 07:43:00
Trevor from the Algarve mentioned an internet
box (40 quid). Does anybody have more details about this?
by Dave from Other on 07-02-2014 07:32:00
Lost BBC signals in Hamburg / Germany. Flashes of the signals come through. The Netherlands, where a friend lives, still have the signal, although much weaker.
by Lorenz from Other on 07-02-2014 06:30:00
Had a look at FILMON.COM seems to work ok.
by Nick from Other on 07-02-2014 05:19:00
We have all channels fully operational and happy to give any advice... www.eurotvdirect.com
by Colin from Other on 07-02-2014 05:04:00
30 miles north of Tarbes, sw France.
No BBC during the day but it came back during the evening. Went off again today. 80 cm dish. Will need a larger one as we have a slow internet connection.
by Stuart from Other on 07-02-2014 04:45:00
All BBC channels lost in SE Bavaria. Hardly unexpected as the BBC has made no secret of its desire to reduce spillage to mainland Europe. What the corporation has never done is give any adequate explanation as to why this is such an important issue. We're quite prepared to pay for an encrypted signal, as from eg Austria. What's their problem with this system or are they just challenging us to beat them in the technology game?
by Scott Whitehead from Other on 07-02-2014 04:34:00
Going to have to connect macbook with VPN to TV and watch on iplayer.
Nick Berlin.
by Nick from Other on 07-02-2014 04:12:00
All BBC channels missing on freesat here in Denmark.. I guess its time to start saving up for a smart tv...
Damn I'm already missing match of the day.
Sad times..
by barry from Other on 07-02-2014 03:50:00
The Conservative Government could have made their point regarding loss of TV in Europe but has done nothing.
Use your vote. Teach them that the middle classes need to be remembered. Hit them where it hurts.
by james lay from UK on 07-02-2014 01:50:00
Lost all bbc channels in Northern Italy. I am appalled at the bbc's behaviour towards Englich speakers in Europe,. I'd have been happy to pay licence fee if possible, bue the bbc has chosen the path if isolation, which can only be detrimental ti British interests in the long run. How can they be so blind?
by Romano from Other on 07-02-2014 01:30:00
Has anyone contacted Sky from the UK to ask if there is a answer to the problem I am sure if there is and it comes with a charge most people wont mind paying.
by Troy from UK on 07-02-2014 01:02:00
All BBC services lost in the southeast of Germany (Bavaria) also.
My only concern is how am I to watch the 6 Nations Rugby? All my mates were planning on coming over to my flat and watch!
by John McBride from Other on 07-02-2014 11:28:00
We are now retired and at last able use our little Spanish home in the colder months. We pay the full TV licence fee in UK, but only use it for seven months, it would be nice if we could use this to enable us to receive the programmes while in Spain.
by Val Thomas from Other on 07-02-2014 10:33:00
Yes its a real pain but i have found temporary solution go to FILMON.TV there you can watch all bbc channels and more for free through smart tv or on pc laptop etc ,hope ive helped good luck and fingers crossed we get bbc back on satelite as the quality is much better.
by paul from Other on 07-02-2014 09:00:00
I'm surprised that people are surprised at this as it was known a year ago that it was going to happen. Perhaps people didn't believe it. You can't blame the BBC or ITV as they are only protecting their copyrights and new technology has allowed them to do this better. Why should they allow millions of people all over Europe to watch their programmes for free when one of their main sources of income is selling their programmes to foreign broadcasters. There may well be other costly alternatives but you can bet your life that they'll be closing down other loop holes in the near future.
by Nigel from Algarve on 07-02-2014 06:55:00
I don't think sky would want to shoot it's self in the by migrating to Astra 2E. thus loosing subscriptions from europe which would amount to a loss of approx 10% of it's revenue
by JOHN M HAIGH from Algarve on 07-02-2014 01:08:00
BBC scotland HD went long before the rest, so don't really understand the comment in article which said it would be unaffected. Fingers crossed SKY realise they will lose customers if they won't reinstate BBC channels.
by Catherine from Algarve on 06-02-2014 11:03:00
The subscription channels are not affected by this change. The free to air channels will be moving to the new satellite Astra 2E. The solution is IPTV and we have built a IPTVnetwork that supplies 60 UK channels (www.iptvnetwork.eu). Feel free to contact us with any questions. If you have a bad internet connection in your area, have a look at the companies that work with the new LTE 4G network as they are expanding their network rapidly and might already be available in your area. contact us for advice at 282410400
by edwin from Algarve on 06-02-2014 10:48:00
My guess there must be a product such as a signal booster that can be attached to a dish to reach the signal, nothing is impossible to do but the first to find it is sure going to become rich
by Troy from UK on 06-02-2014 10:36:00
also loss of channels on the canarian islands, includ Irisch 1,2,3,4 and many more.
its a pitty, many people only have those channels over satellite, becouse internet here is still prehistoric.
by dutchmarc from Other on 06-02-2014 10:03:00
Sky are going to see a big drop in subscriptions in the coming weeks!!!

All those who are commenting that don't care, why are you on this article?
by Just me from Algarve on 06-02-2014 09:45:00
Like many others here I feel lost now without my UK channels, and hope we can find a solution soon, but I really resent some of the comments here about lazy expats. I'm married to a Spaniard, we live in a real Spanish village near the Pyrenees, my Spanish daughters go to a Spanish school and we are totally integrated in the village. Of course I speak Spanish, but it's nice to come home and relax with familiar programmes, familiar voices, familiar senses of humour and also to keep in touch with what's going on back at home, in news, entertainment and comedies. My Spanish husband in fact prefers watching BBC channels to those in his own language.
by Catherine from Other on 06-02-2014 09:36:00
REALISED THIS EVENING THAT HAVE LOST ALL BBC CHANNELS IN BARCELONA. AM QUITE UPSET AS I WATCH LOADS OF BBC PROGS. WILL THERE BE ANOTHER SOLUTION APART FROM CONNECTING THE COMPUTER TO "FILMON" OR BUYING A SMART T.V. SURELY THE BBC WILL NOT BENEFIT FROM THIS LACK OF CONNECTION TO OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD! BBC PLSE SOLVE ASAP
by PAPA from Other on 06-02-2014 09:33:00
Some of us have no choice about where we live and work. I am fully integrated and speak the language, but I also like a little relaxation like the next person. Furthermore it will be a great loss to Britain's image abroad. Many Europeans like to watch these programs if only to improve their English. This is a serious diplomatic mistake. Unfortunately my internet connection is not fast enough to receive TV broadcasts and I am sure that I am not alone.
by Hargrave from Other on 06-02-2014 09:19:00
Lost in S of France too. This is awful, how in these days of technology can we be getting LESS signal? For all those advocating FilmOn, streaming live TV uses a HUGE amount of bandwidth, assuming you have a good enough speed to do it, beware if youre internet isn't unlimited!
by simon d from Other on 06-02-2014 09:19:00
Just get a smart TV and use Filmon.tv watching them all now so not lost nothing and for those who say watch Portugeuse ! Have you ever watched it if not good luck LOL LOL
by Moggy from Algarve on 06-02-2014 08:37:00
Oh no.
Is there definitely an alternative to get the main BBC/ITV/CH4/CH5 channels that does not use the internet? IE via another satellite with just re aligning the dish? We have Sky Freeview in our apartment but it's only used as a holiday home for a few weeks a year, so paying for monthly internet is gonna make it expensive. Really don't want to have no TV - it's our home from home - great to have on late afternoon/evening when getting ready to go out, or if it's poor weather in the daytime.
We are over for the first time this year in March and would like to sort something out then.
by Tricia Cutts from UK on 06-02-2014 07:48:00
Some of us do watch both Portuguese and UK. tv. They are not mutually exclusive. I am sure many Portuguese people living in a foreign country watch plenty of domestic tv but really appreciate the choice being able to watch tv from their home country too.
by Ghibli from Algarve on 06-02-2014 07:45:00
Lulu from Beiras & Ric from Algarve People choose to live in any part of this big world they wish too as long as they are legal to do so.
Peoole on here are concerned to have lost
there `choice`of what TV programs they want to watch and are looking for advice on how to receive it again . If you two are, just happy with what your watching and this problem does not concern you other than you seem to be telling people what to do with their lives you carry on watching what you like and let the others choose.
by troy from UK on 06-02-2014 07:29:00
Lost all BBC channels in Berlinbut gained C5 back
by N Bryant from Other on 06-02-2014 07:29:00
We have prepared a brief for you on the various options available to receive BBC TV, access the various 'on demand' services etc, both by internet and alternative satellite. http://www.theportugalnews.com/article/
by The Portugal News from Algarve on 06-02-2014 05:59:00
All BBC lost today - not happy to hear that ITV and C4 may go tonight!
by Sharon from Algarve on 06-02-2014 05:51:00
I am in Italy, just across the border from France. Lost the bbc signal too. Is there a solution yet?
by Valentino from Other on 06-02-2014 05:24:00
If you're on the internet go to www.film.on.com for free access to BBC, ITV and many other channels
by Chris Wright from Algarve on 06-02-2014 05:13:00
Can't say I'm too bothered. Its about time expats started watching PT news, its far more relevant!
by Lulu from Beiras on 06-02-2014 03:53:00
I have a huge 175cm dish to receive Sky etc in Tuscany (Italy) but stll have lost BBC today.Does anyone know whether there is anything which can be done to retrieve it?
by Denys from Other on 06-02-2014 03:40:00
I have been living in Portugal for the last 2 years and signed up to Portuguese cable MEO. It is good for both your Portuguese language skills and integration into the country to not have access to British TV. This is the best thing that could have happened for all those lazy ex-pats out there, too lazy to learn the language of the country they live in
by caxixi from Lisbon on 06-02-2014 03:34:00
All BBC channels disappeared this morning in Menorca
by Lyn Tidy from Other on 06-02-2014 03:19:00
Lost your BBC ? No problems go to "filmon" for all your free BBC and more channels. Then plug in the HDI from your laptop into the HDI socket on the back of the TV and off you go. Enjoy.
by JOHN M HAIGH from Algarve on 06-02-2014 02:56:00
I have a fully paid up subscription for Sky,will I get a signal whilst travelling in Southern Spain on holiday.
If not goodbye Sky.
by Ernest Barnes from Other on 06-02-2014 02:42:00
I have lost it here too in Regensburg, Germany! :(
by Mike from Other on 06-02-2014 02:35:00
Well I've switched to my Internet box ( £40) and I'm watching all the channels for free !
by Trevor from Algarve on 06-02-2014 02:04:00
All bbc radio and tv lost south west France
by Ted from Other on 06-02-2014 01:53:00
We have lost all BBC channels + ITV and channel 5!! WE were told it may not happen in Portugal. However it has happened!! SKY has offered for an extra premium a year for a VPN box to buy to get the channels on iplayer!! Some area's do not have a very good internet connections.
by Myfanwy Robbins from Lisbon on 06-02-2014 01:30:00
ITV and C4 go tonight
by david braybrook from Other on 06-02-2014 01:11:00
All BBC signals lost in Germany ( Hannover).
by Alan Seddon from Other on 06-02-2014 01:11:00
we have lost all bbc channels in France
by Jim Broughton from Other on 06-02-2014 12:49:00
Does Sky supply paid for services to Portugal or Spain? if Sky does not then why should the signal reach countries.
by troy from UK on 06-02-2014 10:47:00
No great loss.

The quality of BBC programming has been so dire in the last few years that I can't believe anyone would really miss it.
Re-hashed new series of the likes of Dragon's Den, Apprentice, Strictly Come Dancing...etc. interspersed with other tat, all to keep the BBC 'elite' presenters in scheduling and the managers 'troughing' can hardly be called entertainment.

Here's the chance for a hundred thousand expats all over Southern Europe to 'wake up and get a life'!!!!
by Ric from Algarve on 06-02-2014 09:29:00
BBC 1, BBC 2 and BBC News have all gone from the Algarve.
by Trevor from Other on 06-02-2014 09:20:00
weve lost itv1hd here too
by graham from Algarve on 06-02-2014 09:18:00
We have lost all BBC signals here in Southern Scandinavia this morning :-(
Guess I will have to apply for building permission for a 3m dish....
by Pete Kelly from Other on 06-02-2014 08:39:00
we have lost all bbc channels in central portugal
by elaine stones from Porto on 06-02-2014 07:38:00
We seem to have lost all BBC channels here in south east Spain
by terry sellence from Other on 06-02-2014 07:12:00

Please enter the letters as they are
shown in the image.
Letters are not case-sensitive.
Edition 1278
19 July 2014
Edition: 1278

Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.

Twitter