Lisbon welcomes 23 refugees from Egypt

By TPN/Lusa, in News · 02-03-2019 11:42:00 · 0 Comments
Lisbon welcomes 23 refugees from Egypt

Portugal has concluded the first phase of the voluntary resettlement programme of the High Commissioner of the United Nations for Refugees with the arrival on Thursday of 23 refugees who were in Egypt, the government announced.

In a joint statement, the minister of internal administration and the minister of the presidency and administrative modernisation said these 23 refugees are the last people to have been interviewed in Egypt by the first mission of the Borders and Frontiers service and by the High Commissioner for Migrations in July last year.

According to the government, there are 127 people in Portugal under this programme.

Portugal accepted to receive up to 1,010 people from Egypt and Turkey.

The two ministers said new missions are scheduled under the resettlement scheme, with a second mission to Turkey taking place in March, followed by a third and last in April to Egypt and a third mission to Turkey in June.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.