No deaths in Monchique fire 'great victory' - Minister

By TPN/Lusa, in News · 10-08-2018 15:09:00 · 0 Comments
No deaths in Monchique fire 'great victory' - Minister

Portugal’s internal affairs minister said on Friday that the “great victory” in the Monchique wildfire that the lack of any deaths and stressed the “notable” operation of the civil protection authority in fighting the fire.

The minister, Eduardo Cabrita, was speaking to reporters after a briefing at the civil protection command post in Monchique in the Algarve.

Police have meanwhile revealed that they have detained 19 arsonists so far this year, down considerably on the 53 arrests made in 2017 over the same period.

The National Protection Agency (ANPC) has confirmed that the Monchique wildifire has been dominated after a week of devastation.

But the Second in Command at the ANPC, Patrícia Gaspar, warned against complacency, and said firefighters will remain on standby to swiflty extinguish any reignitions. Gaspar also said that rising temperatures will keep authorities on full alert.

To date, just under 27,000 hectares have been reduced to ashes, down from the 2003 figure, when 41,000 hectares were scorched in Monchique, Portimão, Aljezur and Lagos.

Fires consumed half of the growth Monchique and large parts of Silves, resulting in 41 injuries and damaging 50 homes, causing at least ten million euros in damages.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.