Portugal announces measures to avoid further forest fire tragedies

By TPN/Lusa, in News · 07-11-2018 08:27:00 · 0 Comments
Portugal announces measures to avoid further forest fire tragedies

Portugal’s internal affairs minister said on Tuesday that the National Republican Guard (GNR) is to get another 300 officers for its prevention and rescue intervention squad, in an effort to combat deadly wildfires.

Eduardo Cabrita also said the country was creating 40 permanent intervention teams in the country’s fire service next year.

Cabrita, who was speaking during a press conference at the National Authority for Civil Protection, in Oeiras, around 18km from Lisbon, added that next year the forest guard team would also have 200 more members.

The move is part of a government effort to avoid more tragedies caused by forest fires, which killed 114 people last year, by shifting firefighting from volunteers to professionals.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.