St. Andrew’s Church of Scotland, Lisbon

in Regional · 17-04-2010 00:00:00 · 0 Comments

In Scotland, near Stirling, there is a small path behind the McCraes Monument leading off the road into the moors. This leads to the site where the clans gathered to fight the battle of Sheriffmuir in 1715. The Gathering Stone is where the Duke of Argyll stood to herald the arrival of the clans from all over Scotland before the battle.

On 8th. April, 1866 all those interested in the founding of a Presbyterian Church in Lisbon were called to a meeting. 70 people gathered together and formed the fledgling congregation of what is now St. Andrew’s Church, Lisbon. In Rua da Arriaga, stands the Church of Scotland. The Scots two centuries ago raised money to establish a Mission Station near the docks to provide support for the Scottish seafarers passing through the busy port of Lisbon.
On Thursday, April 8 the call to mark the founding of Presbyterianism in Portugal was answered as 76 people attended The Gathering. Among those present were the Portuguese Presbyterian Church Choir and representatives from the German Protestant Church. During the service, Rev. Graham McGeoch gave a brief summary of the history of the church and affirmed the Church’s position as a Mission post for the 21st. century – through dialogue with others of our faith, of other faiths and of no faith. After the service the multinational congregation, from Scotland, England, Gibraltar, South Africa, Norway, Ukraine, USA, Singapore, Switzerland, Germany, Brazil and Portugal retired to the Church Hall where an excellent supper was served.
Services in St. Andrew’s Church are held every Sunday at 11.00am and all are welcome. Visit: www.standrewslisbon.com


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.