Telecom operator buries cables to avoid fire damage

in News · 12-09-2018 15:30:00 · 0 Comments
Telecom operator buries cables to avoid fire damage

Telecom operator Altice has undertaken to bury about 1,000 km of cables to avoid them being damaged by wildfires it told the Portuguese government on Wednesday.

Portugal’s planning minister said in parliament that one of the measures the country’s infrastructure manager IP had taken to avoid connections being destroyed or damaged – as happened in the huge Pedrógão Grande fire last year and in Monchique, this year – was to “provide underground conduits”.

Pedro Marques said an agreement had been made by Altice, which owns Meo, and IP at the end of last year for the operator to use the infrastructure managers’ conduits to bury its network cobles.

Pedro Marques said he hoped that “other operators” would follow suit.

Altice/PT announced last October it would begin burying the cables for its mobile and landline systems in the area affected by the Pedrógão Grande fire.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.