Edition 1446
21 October 2017
Edition: 1446

Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.

Twitter

Three Britons still missing after vanishing in Portugal

by Carrie-Marie Bratley, in News · 05-10-2017 12:14:00 · 0 Comments

Three British men – two in their thirties and an elderly pensioner – are still unaccounted for after vanishing from different parts of Portugal in unrelated cases over the past three years.

Three Britons still missing after vanishing in Portugal

Scottish chef Jon Anderson Edwards went missing three years ago, in September 2014, then aged 31, in the Algarve city of Lagos.
In May 2016, Stuart Page, a 36-year-old British man from Suffolk, went missing in Torres Novas after signing up for a work-accommodation exchange scheme.
And in July this year, Sheffield pensioner, John Joyce went missing in Fátima after travelling to Portugal as part of a group on a pilgrimage.
In two of the cases there has been no news whatsoever to date, despite investigations being conducted.
This week, relatives of Stuart Page travelled to Portugal to try and find their “much loved son, brother and uncle.”
The missing man’s mother, Linda Billinge, sister Lindsay Ramsay, and brother Scott flew to Portugal on Monday.
“We still haven’t managed to make contact despite assistance from the British Embassy in Lisbon and the police in the UK and Portugal”, Mrs. Billinge told The Portugal News.
Mr. Page is, however, understood to be alive and well even though the family have yet to hear from or see him.
They say a positive sighting was reported in December 2016, followed by a potentially positive sighting a few weeks ago.
Stuart Page, from Ipswich, Suffolk, flew from Stansted to Lisbon on 20 April 2016 to take part in a work-accommodation exchange scheme on a farm in Torres Novas. His family say police in Portugal spoke to the owner of the farm, “who said he never turned up.”
Authorities were alerted by the family after Stuart failed to make any form of contact with them or his friends since May 2016.
After a heart-wrenching 16 months his relatives are now “pretty sure he’s living rough” somewhere in the Coimbra region. After flying out on Monday they spent the week scouring that area in the hope of finally locating their loved one.
A spokesperson for Suffolk Police told The Portugal News: “Stuart Page aged 36 from Ipswich was reported as missing to Suffolk Police on 18 May 2016. It is believed that Stuart travelled to Portugal at the beginning of May and is thought to still be abroad.
“Anybody who has any new information that may assist are asked to contact the Police.”
In an unrelated incident, Jon Anderson Edwards, of Arbroath, Scotland, went missing in the Algarve in 2014. He had recently started a new job as a chef at the Rockfood Café in Lagos when he vanished from his apartment on 15 September.
He is understood to have bumped his head in the hours prior to his disappearance and he left most of his belongings behind. 
The alarm was raised by his employer after he failed to turn up for his shift at work. There has been no news of him since.
A source close to the case told The Portugal News that the investigation into Jon’s disappearance has now been passed on to the Public Prosecutor at its request.
A spokesperson for the British Embassy in Portugal said: “Our consular services have provided support to the family of a British National reported missing in Portugal in 2014, and stand ready to provide further assistance if required.”
There has also been no further news on missing Sheffield pensioner, John Joyce, who vanished in Fátima earlier this year in July.
Local GNR police launched a search for the 72-year-old after his family raised the alarm, but despite combing the popular Catholic pilgrimage site as well as its surrounding areas, including Parques, Via Sacra, Aljustrel, and Valinhos, no trace of him has as yet been found.
The GNR police force told The Portugal News it is “keeping a close eye on this situation and has contacted the various local authorities, to whom copies of the photograph of Mr John Joseph Joyce have been given so that all may be involved in a concerted manner.
“The GNR maintains patrolling for this disappearance, and no other development has been recorded to date”, it added.
The Portugal News contacted Mr. Joyce’s family for an update, but none had been received at the time of going to press.
Regarding the cases of John Joyce and Stuart Page, the British Embassy in Portugal confirmed: “Our consular colleagues have been providing support to the families of these British nationals who are reported missing in Portugal.”

Comments

Be the first to comment on this article

Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.


Please enter the letters as they are
shown in the image.
Letters are not case-sensitive.
Edition 1446
21 October 2017
Edition: 1446

Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.

Twitter