Brit left ‘brain dead’ following second attack in Albufeira

in News · 28-05-2011 00:00:00 · 0 Comments
Brit left ‘brain dead’ following second attack in Albufeira

A British tourist has been left brain dead after another vicious attack in Albufeira. During this latest incident the Brit was brutally beaten and left lying unconscious in a pool of blood. It is believed he was set upon by four youths who attacked an Irish citizen in the same neighbourhood last month.

Identified as Ian Haggath, 50, from Newcastle, the victim had been staying with a friend at the three-star Janelas do Mar hotel, in the Montechoro neighbourhood of Albufeira.
The attack took place on the weekend of 14-15 May during the early hours of the morning, at a junction between Albufeira’s ‘worm roundabout’ on the main road and the Janelas do Mar Hotel. Last week a spokesperson from the British Embassy confirmed the victim’s identity, that he was being assisted in Faro Hospital, and that the Embassy was providing consular assistance.
Reports suggest Mr. Haggath had been walking back to his hotel from the city’s notorious strip when he was set upon. It is believed he suffered serious head injuries including broken cheek bones, a fractured skull and blood on the brain, and was in a critical condition when he was admitted to hospital, later being transferred to an intermediate care unit.
On Wednesday this week a spokesperson for Faro Hospital told The Portugal News that Mr. Haggath is now clinically “brain dead” and it is possible he may die.
The victim’s brother is thought to have flown out to the Algarve following the attack, and has been at his bedside.
Mr. Haggath was found lying unconscious in a pool of blood by three fellow holidaymakers, one of whom also claims to have been subjected to abuse moments earlier by the four assailants. They believe it was the same four youths who battered Mr. Haggath.
One of the three passersby, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Portugal News that while he didn’t physically see the attack, he and his friends had tried to help the victim afterwards, “until the ambulance came.”
“It was my friend who had bottles and stones thrown at him, about five minutes before the man got attacked”, the witness explained, adding his friend had described his assailants as “four young lads, one had ginger hair”,
He warned: “The Montechoro area and top of the strip are not safe in the early hours of the morning.”
A source from the Janelas do Mar Hotel told The Portugal News that the attack on Mr. Haggath had taken place “near the ‘worm’ roundabout” and was the first of its type involving one of their clients.
“We were informed of what had happened at around 4.30am”, he said.
Asked whether he was concerned about the rising levels of insecurity in the area, the source answered: “Yes, of course, we all are.”
On 16 April this year an Irishman was set upon in an incident that bears disquieting similarities to this latest attack.
Mr. David Hoban, 44, from Dublin, was severely beaten, pummelled with cobblestones, his nose broken and slashed with a knife after being followed by four individuals who he also described as “all aged under 25 and foreign.”
During the prolonged attack, which took place around half a kilometre from where Mr. Haggath was assaulted, Mr. Hoban was forced to the ground, kicked, punched, knifed under an arm and slashed across his face “from under my left eye to my nose.”
He had been pursued by the four individuals from a taxi rank at the top of the strip, where the assailants had been loitering under a canopy, to a side street off the main road leading to the Montechoro Hotel.
This week Mr. Hoban told The Portugal News that one of his attackers also had “ginger hair – like as if he had tried to bleach it but it went wrong.”
Meanwhile, Albufeira Councillor for Security, Ana Pífaro, said the Town Hall had not been informed of a “suspicious group” operating in the area, but added that the GNR “does not transmit this type of information, as the matter is being investigated and any leak of information can damage the successful resolution of cases.”
However, she added, the Town Hall was “very attentive” of all safety matters and kept daily contact with security forces.
GNR spokesperson Colonel Sequeira confirmed an investigation is being carried out into the attack on Mr. Haggath. He said the GNR had “no certainties” as to whether or not it was the same gang of four individuals who were responsible for both attacks, as the investigation is still ongoing, but acknowledged it was a possibility.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.