These poisonings have led to the local community reacting in a bid to alert the wider population about the situation.
Dog Poisoning Alert Algarve is the name of the Facebook page created to disseminate information about the poisoning of dogs that have already caused deaths in the area.
One of the founders of the page, Jeff Turner, who has lived in the Algarve for six years, is determined to prevent further poisonings. His dog was one of the victims who unfortunately lost his life at four and a half years old, due to an illegal poisoning near the Bora Bora hotel. Despite veterinarians' efforts, the Belgian shepherd died in less than two hours, Jeff explained.
According to Jeff Turner: “We have created the Facebook page to inform other pet owners of the dangers of deliberate poisoning both in this area and other places in the Algarve, it is also a group where any news can be shared on new poisoning events and any information on suspects involved laying traps and bringing them to justice as it is a criminal offence”.
The Portugal News spoke to Clínica Veterinária de Pêra, which has reported that in just one week, only in this clinic, three pets were admitted, one of which had been poisoned twice, totalling four cases of poisoning.
Asked about the poison used, the vet stated that: “It is a very strong product, because in 10 to 15 minutes, one of the dogs has already arrived here dead, which is rare”.
Despite having assured that the situation is not common in the Algarve, they leave a warning to all dog owners to protect their pets: “Animals must always walk on a leash and if they eat something strange, please always contact the vet, where they are usually attended to. Don’t let it spread!”
Find out more on the Facebook Page at: https://www.facebook.com/Dog-Poisoning-Alert-Algarve-108037284859606/about/