The departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union and the end of the transitional period brings new obligations in the tax relations of taxpayers residing there and with income in Portugal (such as a rented house) and the answer to some of the questions that this process entails can be found in this ‘Online Help’ of the Tax and Customs Authority (TA).

Through this new feature, the taxpayer knows, for example, that he is obliged to appoint a tax representative in Portugal.

The fact is that taxpayers resident outside the European Economic Area, as is the case since 1 January of this year with the United Kingdom, must have a tax representative in Portugal, and if they already had a Portuguese NIF and residence in the United Kingdom at the end of the transitional period, the appointment of the tax representative can be made until 30 June 2021.

It should be noted that the process of appointing a tax representative can be carried out electronically on the Finance Portal or in person at a tax office.

This feature also has a response to various tax situations that may arise for residents of Portugal, namely if they receive a pension or other income from the United Kingdom or about bringing or sending goods to and from that country.

If you cannot find an answer to your questions in “Online Help”, you can go to the counter whose response time is around three working days.