Government decrees closure of all schools

By TPN/Lusa, in News · 21-01-2021 15:07:00 · 2 Comments

Prime Minister António Costa announced today the closure of schools at all levels of education for 15 days to try to stop the spread of the new coronavirus.

The Prime Minister announced the measure, which will come into force tomorrow (Friday, 22 January), after a meeting of the Council of Ministers and said it was justified by a "precautionary principle" because of the increase in the number of cases of the most contagious variant of SARS-CoV-2, which increased from around 8% last week to around 20% currently.

António Costa said that the 15-day break would be compensated for in another holiday period and assured that there would be support measures for families similar to those in place during the first lockdown in 2020.



Related articles


Comments:

Where was the action from Costa weeks ago? Blind Freddy could see this was going to happen and you only had to walk down the street and see the behavior of the general public with regards to distancing, hand washing and mask wearing.

It was plain this would happen.

By John Richardson from Porto on 22-01-2021 01:40

Our children, who are not at risk, and the majority of the population for that matter (99.97% recovery rate for most IF you catch it) are being made to suffer terribly.

Covid didn't close our schools, our businesses, strip us of our freedoms & livelihoods, test us like lab rats and threaten experimental vaccines on us.....the government did or should I really say the 1% of this world who are pulling the strings and benefitting very nicely out of the greatest wealth transfer in history.

By Sarah L from Other on 21-01-2021 08:19
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.