President rejects "retreat" back to state of emergency

By TPN/Lusa, in News, COVID-19 · 18-06-2021 17:17:00 · 7 Comments

The President of the Republic has defended that the Government “acted in accordance with its competence” regarding Lisbon weekend lockdown measures while stressing he has rules out “a retreat” regarding the state of emergency.

"My position is the same, it is up to me to declare the state of emergency, and I see no reason to retreat back to the state of emergency, because of what I have said several times before: the number of deaths, number of patients care intensive and the number of those hospitalised, all remain far, far below the limit that justifies the state of emergency”, said Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.

On Thursday, the Council of Ministers announced a ban on movement to and from the Lisbon Metropolitan Area (AML) on weekends, from 15:00 on Friday, due to the increase in Covid-19 in this area.

Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa said that “the Government acted in accordance with its competence”, with the Constitution and the law was “very clear”: “It is up to the Government to manage in a time when there is no state of emergency”.

The minister highlighted that this is a new measure to control the pandemic, which "is neither easy nor desired by anyone, but it is necessary" to contain the worsening incidence of the disease in this region, especially with the prevalence of the "delta" variant of coronavirus.



Related articles


Comments:

The lockdown left will never stop. Marcelo always gives in to the socialists sadly. This is his shtick… then “oh my I must declare an emergency “.

James… Government is the problem. .0002% of vaccinated people have died… go to a dark room and gaze at your own navel and leave the rest of us to go about our business.

By MICHAEL from Lisbon on 19-06-2021 01:31

The lockdown left will never stop. Marcelo always gives in to the socialists sadly. This is his ******… then “oh my I must declare an emergency “.

James… Government is the problem. .0002% of vaccinated people have died… go to a dark room and gaze at your own navel and leave the rest of us to go about our business.

By MICHAEL from Lisbon on 19-06-2021 01:21

President seems to be the only one who listened to the judge in L'bon who declared the PCR tests useless. The rest of the 'elected' people denied this completely and just went on with their agenda.

By Ana from Algarve on 19-06-2021 11:02

Comments are being censured by this newspaper. Are we in China?

By Fred Doe from Algarve on 19-06-2021 10:21

Sorry Mr President you have no say over mother nature.

If rules weren't consistently flouted we would be in a different situation.

Tragically they have been and so now we are entering a 4th wave with a number of double vaccinated people already dead.

By James from Algarve on 18-06-2021 07:14

Last year, after the first lockdown, he said "Portugal will not accept a second lockdown!”
And then the second lockdown came. State of emergency waiting right around the corner, because of all the staycation-ers spreading (it) all over the country from Lisbon.

By Fred Doe from Algarve on 18-06-2021 06:35

Not sure what happened to Marcelo...
Looks like he took the "Good Boy" pill

By Gui.R from Lisbon on 18-06-2021 05:47
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.