FAQ on Covid-19 digital certificate

By TPN/Lusa, in News, COVID-19, Tech, Health, Travel · 01-07-2021 14:06:00 · 13 Comments

The digital certificate, which comes into force on 1 July, aims to facilitate safe circulation in the European Union, but whoever requests it must meet one of three requirements: be fully vaccinated, have a negative test or be recovered from a infection.

In Portugal, the document has been issued since 16 June and the Government approved, last week, the decree-law that implements the community regulations on the certificate in the national legal order.

Created in about six months - semester of the Portuguese presidency in the European Union (EU) – is designed to promote travels in the European space during the pandemic. Additionally, in Portugal the document will also function as a "transit pass" for access to many events.

What is the covid-19 digital certificate for?

With this document, travels can prove that they are vaccinated against the SARS-CoV2 virus, that they have had a negative test or that they have already recovered from the infection.

Issuing the certificate, which includes a QR code with a digital signature to prevent forgery, is free of charge.

What is the advantage of having a digital certificate for trips abroad?

Those who have a digital certificate, when traveling within the European Union, as well as to countries in the European Economic Area - Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway - are no longer forced to comply with the restrictions imposed by the destination country, unless they are necessary to protect public health.

In these situations — for example, to respond to new variants of the virus — the country has to notify the European Commission and all other Member States and justify this decision.

A citizen who travels to another country where the certificate is in force does not need to undergo a screening test or mandatory quarantine, if these measures are being applied at the destination.

What data and security does the certificate have?

The document includes data such as name, birthday, and information about vaccination, testing, and recovery.

According to the European Commission, these data remain in the certificate and are not stored or preserved when the certificate is verified in another Member State. All health data are kept only in the country that issued the certificate.

How to request the digital certificate?

In Portugal, it is possible to request the certificate since 16 June, although it only comes into force throughout the European Union on 1 July, having been issued, by the end of 30 June, about one million of these certificates.

The only way to get the document is via the SNS 24 website, where you can choose the respective certificate: vaccination, testing or recovery.

After being validated, the digital certificate is accessible on the website itself or can be sent by email.

Which conditions are necessary to get the vaccination certificate?

According to the General Directorate of Health (DGS), the certificate is issued after the administration of each dose of vaccines approved in the European Union, but containing the information if the vaccination schedule is complete.

For those who have been infected and who, for this reason, have only received one dose of the vaccine, as provided for by the DGS for those who have recovered from the infection, as of 1 July you can have access to the certificate that formally certifies that you have completed the vaccination, confirmed to Lusa News Agency the Shared Services of the Ministry of Health.

This decision by the Portuguese authorities is in line with the position of the European Commission, which proposed that people who received a single dose of a two-dose vaccine, after being infected, should be considered as having received the necessary vaccines to be able to travel.

Which conditions are necessary to get the test certificate?

According to the same DGS standard, the certificate can be issued after notification in the specific health system of the negative result for the virus that causes covid-19, only from PCR and rapid molecular tests, and for 72 hours from the time of the test.

Which conditions are required to get the recovery certificate?

The recovery certificate is valid for 180 days from the date of the covid-19 positive test and can only be given to those who have the “cured” status on the Trace-Covid-19 platform.

How long will the certificate be in effect?

The regulation on the conditions of the certificate will be in force for a period of one year, starting on 1 July.

The Commission will report to the European Parliament and the Council three months before the deadline and should propose an extension of the regulation according to the current evolution of the epidemiological situation.

Related articles

Comments:

I’ve tried many many times to get my covid certificate, the system tells me a sms or email has been sent but nothing arrives
I rang SNS 24 to be told they can do nothing, and I should keep trying.

By Anthony Sherborne from Algarve on 26-07-2021 07:57

I have had my 2 vaccinations however my certificate is showing the incorrect vaccine. I have called SNS24 and they told me the only way to change it was to go to the local centro de saude, which I did, they have confirmed that it is correct on their system, however, it is still showing as the incorrect vaccine when I download my certificate. Any ideas on how to change this please?

By Suzi Wooldridge from Other on 22-07-2021 03:45

I have the same incorrect cert problem and interactions as M Newbery above. Has anybody found a workable solution? Tks.

By Matt O'Driscoll from Other on 22-07-2021 12:18

Michael Newbery, have you been able to resolve your issue? i have the same problem and i called SNS and my local health center several times, but no one was able to help. Thanks

By Zeng Yixin from Porto on 22-07-2021 10:38

I get certificate of vaccinations I have done already please send in this email I’d jora sahni thanks

By JORA RAM SAHNI from Alentejo on 18-07-2021 09:37

We’ve had 2 doses of the vaccine here but it only shows one on the certificate. Tried everything to get it put right. Absolute nightmare

By Tina from Algarve on 18-07-2021 01:02

I had my second vaccination on 07/07/2021. In the evening I printed the certificate and the name fields are incorrect. The Surname shows my middle First Name plus my Surname. When I applied for my European Health Card initially I had the same problem. I went to where I registered for the Portuguese Health System and met a very hostile and rude lady who emphatically informed me that she could not help. I had to telephone the SNS 24 number. I spoke to someone there this morning who said that I should go to my Embassy (I have no idea why as my passport shows my name correctly) and return to the surgery where I am registered. Is anybody able to tell me how I could get somebody to reenter my name correctly in the Health Computer data base? Many thanks. Michael.

By Michael Newbery from Lisbon on 15-07-2021 12:16

What is the link where I can request my certificate to travel to Portugal, We are fully vaccinated.

By Roberto Gomes from USA on 13-07-2021 03:32

Just got my 2 dose cert online today, merely 2 days after my second shot. Efficient. Love how organized and easy it was. I really don't care about the complainers. Don't get a vaxx, don't get a cert, stay in your little world and infect your loved ones you purport to care about, and let natural selection take you over. As for me, I look forward to traveling freely in the EU and eventually the US and UK. It's a pandemic, not some crazy conspiracy designed to control you. The restrictions come from not doing the right thing. Blame yourself if that happens.

By Elle from Porto on 11-07-2021 03:01

I need copied 19 certificate.

By Md. Shah jahan from Lisbon on 10-07-2021 10:25

Is it possible for a US citizen to get the Covid -19 digital certificate in Lisbon/Portugal ?

By Bill from USA on 02-07-2021 10:42

When in a democracy the determination on whether you are a 'good' boy or a 'bad' boy is determined by a digital certificate.
Welcome to your new Totalitarian State !

By Troy from Other on 01-07-2021 05:53

'Divide and Conquer' to the T.
Used against populations for centuries and we still fall for it time and time again.

By Joseph Davids from Alentejo on 01-07-2021 02:18