For the second year running Covid 19 restrictions made it a rather challenging event. Numbers were limited, and to ensure social distancing each team of 3 or 4 was asked to start play at 12 minute intervals instead of the usual “shotgun” start where all players start at the same time. The 44 participants were also able to take part in the “Beat the Pro” competition and 3 players were delighted to achieve this feat.
The event organiser Richard Thorpe from RCEPI said “Once again our golfers demonstrated their support for our charitable causes. They fully respected all the Covid restrictions and many told me how much they had enjoyed the day. I am delighted that all the hard work of my Rotary colleagues and the excellent Monte Rei team paid off despite the challenging circumstances and I congratulate all the tournament winners.”
This year’s winners were: Men: 1st Place: Adrian Hook (Blevins Franks) with 45 pts; 2nd Place: Donald Steven with 40 pts; and 3rd Place: Miguel Varela with 38 pts. Ladies: 1st Place: Nicole Pinter with 40 pts; 2nd Place: Janice Galloway with 37 pts; and 3rd Place: Varaena Kondes with 34 pts. “Nearest the Pin” Ladies was won by Shirley Anne Steven and “Nearest the Pin” Men was won by Donald Steven.
The event raised nearly €5,000, which will support mainly local charities with part of the funds being dedicated to Faro Hospital to help towards the purchase of a defibrillator. In recent years RCEPI has helped fund numerous projects including:
- A refrigerated truck for the Faro Food Bank
- A mobile breast screening unit for the Algarve Oncology Association
- A van to provide mobile lung cancer screening in the Algarve
- Donating wheelchairs to the local community
- Purchasing Christmas gifts for disadvantaged children
- Helping fund a new, fully equipped ambulance for Sao Bras fire department,
- Financing a local milk programme to help the Faro Food Bank
- Funding crucial wheelchair access
- Funding university education for students
- PPE for staff at Faro Hospital
RCEPI is looking forward to welcoming golfers back to Monte Rei Golf and Country Club next year when hopefully things will have returned to normal. To participate in the 2022 Rotary Charity Golf Tournament, the Club advises golfers to book early, to avoid disappointment as places will be limited.