SC Braga won away at Rio Ave whilst fourth placed Sporting took the honours against SC Portimonense. At the bottom SC Feirense look doomed following their sixth straight defeat, 4-0 at Belenenses, and now find themselves nine points from safety.

FC Porto were boosted by the return of Mali international Moussa Marega to the starting line-up whilst Benfica boss Bruno Lage was happy to name an unchanged side led by João Félix and Haris Seferovic in attack.

FC Porto were quickly out of the traps and Alex Telles tested Benfica keeper Odisseas Vlachodimos within the first thirty seconds.
Yacine Brahimi earned his side another prime opportunity to strike at goal after being brought down by Rúben Dias, earning his side a free-kick in the eighteenth minute.

Adrián’s effort cannoned off the defensive wall but he made amends on the rebound with a side-footed volley into the far corner to place Sérgio Conceição’s side 1-0 up.

Midway through the half Benfica responded through Pizzi but Porto keeper Casillas stood tall to deny the midfielder. Five minutes later the visitors finally leve

strike partner Seferovic before picking his spot. Ten minutes from time a rush of blood from Gabriel saw him pick up a red card for an altercation with Otávio to leave Benfica a player short.

FC Porto pushed forward for the equaliser with Felipe’s header grazing the top of the bar before Vlachodimos pulled off two big saves to safeguard Benfica’s lead.

The 2-1 victory saw Benfica leapfrog Porto and they are now two points clear of Porto with ten league games to go.

Braga went a goal down at Rio Ave when Carlos Junior gave the home side the lead four minutes after the break. Paulinho levelled matters for Os Arsenalistas in the seventy-seventh minute with Wilson Eduardo snatching a late winner deep into stoppage time. Braga remain in third place, five points below Porto.

Sporting put the disappointment of elimination from the Europa League with a 3-1 home victory over SC Portimonense. The game was virtually over after just twelve minutes thanks to goals by Diaby (11’) and Raphinha (12’).

Paulinho reduced the arrears after half-an-hour and the Algarve side were pressing for an equaliser when Sporting, on the counterattack, closed the game out when Fernandes added a third in the final minute of normal time.

SC Portimonense are at home to National (Madeira) at the Portimão Municipal Stadium on Sunday at 3pm.