GNR dismantle fraud network

in News · 18-01-2020 09:00:00 · 0 Comments

GNR dismantled, in Fundão, a scam network that worked in the districts of Castelo Branco, Coimbra and Guarda, and whose suspects pretended to be EDP officials to deceive elderly victims.

In a statement sent to the Lusa agency, the Castelo Branco Territorial Command said the investigation had been going on for several months, with more than 50 occurrences and attempts to scam the elderly in the three districts.

"The military found that its perpetrators were impersonating EDP employees, charging services for meter changes and electricity consumption," the report said.

According to the report, an operation was carried out on Wednesday, 15 January, which led to the detention of a couple, both 65 years old and resident in the town of Alcongosta, municipality of Fundão.

In addition to these two persons, two 38-year-old and 46-year-old men were detained for illegal possession of the weapon, and a 43-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man were accused of suspected involvement in the illegal activities.

The police action involved the execution of 13 search warrants, namely in three homes and ten vehicles, and 5,250 Euros in cash, a 6.35 mm calibre gun, 115 ammunition of various calibre and two light vehicles were seized.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.