Income tax rate of 10% approved for expat pensioners

in News · 06-02-2020 09:40:00 · 5 Comments

Expat pensioners moving to Portugal will no longer be exempt of income tax.

An amendment to the tax regime for non-habitual residents, was passed last night by Parliament.

According to the revised law, expat pensioners will now have to pay a flat rate of 10 percent on their foreign income in Portugal.

The vote was approved by favourable votes of the ruling Socialists and the main opposition PSD party.

Comments:

What does this 'article' seek to do? It clearly doesn't inform as there are no details as to when this starts, who it affects etc. So you would assume that it seeks to scare and worry the people it is aimed at. Imagine a vulnerable elderly pensioner reading this who is living close to their means.
I hope whoever wrote this and allowed it to be published are proud of their journalistic talents.

By Jon Grant from Algarve on 07-02-2020 09:02

Totally ambiguous because it needs working through practically. E.g If uk income is already taxable in UK does it mean in addition you would pay 10% on, say, your UK pension in Portugal on top of that?

By James from UK on 07-02-2020 07:29

How about the full story, such as details on who this affects? Maybe explain that this does not affect those currently in the NHR system and that many can still apply until next year without being affected! How about a bit more pertinent info for those not in the know?

By D.Oliver from Porto on 06-02-2020 01:34

Hello
I don’t received my retirement money here in Portugal
I withdrew as I need
My question is do I have to pay any tax in Portugal even if don’t have anything here

By Victor Tavares from Porto on 06-02-2020 01:00

You may want to include the fact that those who already enjoy 0% under NHR will get to keep it until the 10 years run out.

By Marcus from UK on 06-02-2020 10:30