The regions Intermunicipal Community (AMAL) has announced that the number of public transport users in the Algarve has increased by 25 percent between April and June with close to 5,700 passes being sold.

In a statement sent to Lusa, the association that includes the 16 municipalities of the Algarve, says that this increase “exceeded the expectations created with the entry into force of the new tariffs” which started to have a maximum value of €40.

“In June close to 5,700 passes were sold, an increase of around 1,200 tickets compared to April, with demand rising both in road and rail transport” AMAL said. The reduction of prices for public transport entered into force on 1 May, with passes now having a minimum value of €14 and a maximum of €40.

According to AMAL it is planned to start in September, the additional reduction of 20 percent in school passes, which were already subsidised by municipalities at average rates of 50 percent.

The reduction of the price of public transport passes is supported by funds from the Environmental Fund of around €1 million (97.5 percent) and municipalities provide the remaining 2.5 percent. ”“This is another measure from the Intermunicipal Community of the Algarve to increase the demand for public transport and a step towards the decarbonisation of the south of the country” said the entity representing the municipalities in the statement.

AMAL added that the model for the introduction of an intermodal pass to improve the quality of life and mobility in the Faro district is under study.