Lagos Mayor calls for "punishments" for Covid-19 rule flouters

in News · 17-06-2020 10:33:00 · 11 Comments

Hugo Pereira, Mayor of Lagos, has called for "punishments" following an illegal party, held on 7 June in Odiáxere, which has already infected 16 people with Covid-19.

Speaking to news outlet Sul Informação, the mayor called for "greater attention, on behalf of everyone", for "compliance with the rules and, above all, more penalties for those who do not comply”.

According to Mayor Pereira, the organisers of the event have been identified by the GNR.

Comments:

Steve Schaefer is a fraud and a con man

By Angela from Other on 06-02-2021 07:27

I totally respect the sentiments of my fellow American expat. I too moved from the US to another country, and if you respect your new friends and neighbors, they will respect you.
I would like to expand on the illustration if I may....I don't think the party involved children or teenagers. More likely young adults who have learned their lesson with the hot stove, but chose to flout it. They thought they could dance on the hot stove if they moved their feet fast enough.....but, of course, they still got burned.

By William from Other on 19-06-2020 01:54

Simple answer
I think the BS in your diploma stands for something else.

By William from Other on 19-06-2020 01:25

Yes, Mayor of Lagos, I agree with you. Logical & Natural Consequences are the best way to teach children who growing up towards joining their culture as they grow towards achieving their identity. How does a child learn to not touch a hot stove? Because they get burned
by it if they forget or get careless & touch or run into it. Likewise, the teenager may catch a cold if they forget to wear their jacket if it’s cold outside. These consequences, therefore, are not punishments, but lessons, reminding us there are no mistakes, only lessons & when we learn our lessons, mistakes stop happening.

By Steve Schaefer from Algarve on 18-06-2020 04:59

I’m an American expat who has lived in Lagos for the last 2+ years. Speaking for our small community, I can say we admire & value very much your culture, community & goodwill. As such, we believe universally that you get out of a relationship what you put into it. So my American friends, remember we are guests in this unique, safe & homogeneous beautiful country & that it is incumbent on each of us to give back what we have so generously been extended by the kind & accepting Portugese Country & it’s citizens. In other words, follow the Covid19 rules. They exist for all of our health, safety, education & welfare. Viva la Portugal & thank You!
Steve Schaefer

By Steve Schaefer from Algarve on 18-06-2020 04:41

Simple question

How many people do you personally know who have died of this?

How many of these were young and 100% healthy?
Remember healthy people suddenly die the time,but later are found to have had a silent unknown issue.

A pandemic is somethong affects many many people. Everyone where one woukd go in our neighbourhood one would be able to point out deaths to helthy people.

If in our experience we know personally multiple healthy people dying all around us then by all means support these social distancing edicts.

If the people who are dying are known second or third hand, or simply those presented on the TV etc., then perhaps we do not need to live on fear.

In my experience, in Hong Kong, Ireland, UK, and Portugal, I only know of one death. He,was elderly and not known to me personally.

Relax.

John O'M (BSc in Microbiology)

By John Paul O'Mahony from Other on 18-06-2020 04:12

Pizza night every Friday too many people together there will be another outbreak from there soon

By Denzil Jones from Algarve on 18-06-2020 12:34

This has lead to Vasco da Gama, Renault dealer not being able to service my car today and they cannot tell me when they will be open again, they say it depends on the Mayor. It seems there are some very silly people out there.

By Mike Faulkner from Algarve on 18-06-2020 10:39

From memory, a couple of years ago, a group of 'gamblers' were arrested whilst partaking in a game of bingo with the grand prize being a box of chocolates. All of the people in the room were arrested (players or not) and were subsequently fined huge sums for their grievous transgression. I am fairly sure that most of those criminals were tourists and visitors to the region.
I expect that the full force of the law will also be brought to bear on all of the organisers and participants of this illegal event with the same vigour?
However I won't hold my breath!
Regards
Steve

By Steve Walker from Algarve on 18-06-2020 09:40

Close the Sports Club that hosted the event

By David S from Algarve on 17-06-2020 09:24

Partying in this time is totally not good due to the pandemic in the entire world, we all have our right to be responsible to see this through, and anyone who failed to abide by the rules of the country should be brought to justice accordingly. But still we need to move on with our ways of live, we only need to draw anew plan that will help us to be safe. Covid-19 is here to stay whether we like it or not, let's stand tall to face it together.

By Niyi Kaeeem from Other on 17-06-2020 01:24