All that changed as the Dragons travelled to the hostile environment of the Estádio da Luz and inflicted a 2-0 defeat on the reigning champions. Sporting won at Portimonense and Famalicão are the surprise package with two victories and a draw in their opening three Primeira Liga fixtures.

Benfica and Porto remained unchanged from their convincing wins the previous weekend. Benfica came into the match on a high with three competitive wins on the spin without a goal conceded. Porto on the other hand, have experienced a far rockier start to the campaign.

After a nervy start it was the Dragons who started to impose themselves and in the twenty-first minute, the previous week’s hat-trick hero, Zé Luís spurned a great chance to break the deadlock as Odysseas pushed his effort aside. Porto did not have to wait long before establishing the lead though, as from the resulting corner the Cape Verdean pounced on a defensive mix-up between Ferro and Rúben Dias to bundle in the opening goal.

Benfica were struggling to impose their usual free-flowing game upon Porto and this dynamic never really altered against Sergio Conceição’s disciplined outfit. The excellent Diaz tested Odysseas with a well struck volley early in the second-half as Porto continued as the stronger team after the break. The match should have been out of sight with twelve minutes to go. Moussa Marega had the freedom of the park and all the time in the world but somehow managed to put his shot wide of the post. Eight minutes later Marega made up for his miss to seal a huge three points for Porto. The Malian latched onto substitute Otávio’s through ball, outpaced Ferro and coolly slotted in off the post to make it 2-0. Sporting travelled to the Algarve to face SC Portimonense without German bound Bas Dost, set to join Eintracht Frankfurt for €7 million.

The Dutch striker leaves Sporting after joining the club three years ago, scoring 93 goals in 127 games. A year ago Bas Dost was one of the players who terminated their contracts after the attack at the Sporting Alcochete but interim president Sousa Cintra convinced the striker to return.

The game against Portimonense was only two minutes old when Raphinha curled a delightful strike into the top corner to give the visitors the lead. The Lions doubled their lead just three minutes later as Bruno Fernandes presented Luiz Phellype with a simple tap in. The early scoring continued as Rômulo pulled a goal back for Portimonense, from the penalty spot, in the ninth minute. Sporting made the game safe when Raphinha got his second midway through the second-half to make the final score 3-1.