In a tweet, the Brigade said the failure can occur due to faulty batteries and poorly built units.

The post was accompanied by advice for the prevention of fire caused by e-scooters and e-bikes, which is listed below.

  • Lithium-ion batteries or li-ion batteries (sometimes called LIBs) are the lightweight batteries that power e-scooters, e-bicycles and hoverboards. They are safe when they are used properly, but present a fire risk if they are over-charged, short-circuited, submerged in water or if they are damaged.
  • Use the charger that came with the product to charge it. If you need a replacement source a genuine charger from the manufacturer or retailer.
  • Charge outside if possible. NEVER charge in a the communal space of an apartment block. This a protected fire escape route.
  • If you must charge inside, charge in a location that will still allow you to escape from all the rooms in your home. For example, do not charge it in the hallway. Plan your escape routes in advance.
  • Charge only for as long as it takes to reach a full charge. Do not charge overnight.
  • Unplug the charger if you are leaving your home, even for a short while.
  • Never cover the e-scooters, e-bicycle or hoverboards with insulators, such as coats or jumpers and so on. The battery will heat up during use and during charging and this heat needs to dissipate.
  • If you notice your e-scooter, e-bicycle or hoverboard behaving erratically, this could be a sign the battery is damaged and needs replacing.

E-scooters are currently illegal on Irish roads due to being considered mechanically propelled vehicles, but the Road Traffic and Roads Bill is expected to change this by designating e-scooters and e-bikes as ‘powered personal transporters’ (PPTs).