Nationality law approved by the President

By TPN/Lusa, in News · 06-11-2020 01:00:00 · 23 Comments

Anyone born in Portugal to foreign parents residing in the Portuguese territory for one year are now legally able to be Portuguese citizens.

The President of the Republic has approved the new nationality law that allows the children of immigrants who have lived here for at least one year to have Portuguese nationality at birth, even if they have lived here illegally, or have one of their parents legally residing in Portuguese territory.

Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa had initially rejected the law that proposed some changes based on the creation of discrimination between couples with or without children. Parties corrected the diploma by removing references to the existence of children.

Regarding the new law now accepted by the President, what has changed related to art.3 Nº 4 and 5, so that couples without children will have the same conditions of access to Portuguese nationality, said the Socialist deputy, Paulo Porto, according to Observador newspaper.

“A foreigner who has been married for more than three years with a Portuguese citizen can obtain Portuguese nationality by a declaration during the marriage”, according to the Law 37/81. This also includes common law marriages in Portugal.

Related articles

Comments:

Hi sir madam
I was lived from 2029/08/27 in portugal torres vedras I have one son ,he has gone to school from 2019/10/10
He is 5 years old now.
Could I apply portuguese citizenship.
If any idea please could you give me information
Thanks.

By Shobha from Other on 24-03-2021 05:04

My baby twines bone in Faro 5 October 2020 I not received portuges nationalat so please help me urgently

By Gurpreet from Algarve on 24-02-2021 11:59

My child was born in april 2020, at the time of child birth i have legally spend 1.5 years in Portugal, can i apply for my child Portuguese nationality, please clearify this

Regards

By Abdul from Lisbon on 07-02-2021 02:49

I came in portugal with my childern now they study ing in portugal from last one and half year can they apply for nationality.

By Tony from Lisbon on 11-01-2021 10:40

My baby born in 16 dec 2020 i applied citizen
of baby or not please send email or phone number

By Vishal from Algarve on 29-12-2020 06:08

Dear
I was come in Portugal in august 2019 .my baby born here in April 2020. can i apply for baby citizen plz contact with me by mail or on contact no. thanks for help.

By gurwinder kaur from Lisbon on 22-11-2020 12:34

Dear
My baby born here in last 28 December,now she have 2 years residency ,can we apply her nationality

By Gurlal singh from Alentejo on 12-11-2020 07:49

"And above all it will encourage terrorism."
Hey, that's what all the nationalist racists said back when I lived the US, too! Small world. Or is just small minds?

By B from Porto on 12-11-2020 07:34

This policy is a basic of globalism cheap labor for the educated elites who live in gated communities and send their kids to private schools. The illegal's are not taking their jobs or spots in elites schools, they could care less about other citizens of their country, they are a nasty bu8nch, and they want to rule the world. They have all the money now they want al the power.

By Daniel from USA on 10-11-2020 09:07

It's really a good news & shows a great intimacy to immigrants.It is a great step for the immigrants as well as the fruitful actions for the economic growth of the country.

By Mohammad Saefullah from Other on 10-11-2020 07:11

The socialist agenda is alive and well in Portugal. This will open up the flood gates to massive immigration both legal and illegal. You guys may have to start building a wall LOL.

By Tony B from USA on 10-11-2020 07:06

I am from South Africa, I am trying for years to get my Portugues passport and it's been so very difficult. My father is a Portuguese citizen, living in South Africa and we can't get anything right but they quick to let in millions of foreign immigrants with no Portuguese ancestry first. What a shame!!

By Nicole Edwards from Other on 10-11-2020 12:27

This law which open the door to illegal immigration is an absolute disgrace and a total lack of consideration for the Portuguese people
And above all it will encourage terrorism.
I am horrified and now on I shall vote for the extreme right.

By Maria from Algarve on 09-11-2020 06:01

Dear Sir/Mam

My baby born in May and we living here in Portugal since August 2019 and we don't have residence permit yet but my husband done in Sef fingers for 1st year card. So can I apply for Portuguese nationality for my baby or not.

By RANJU Ranju from Other on 09-11-2020 05:11

What is happening about the Portuguese language requirement for citizenship? Especially if you have been living for many years in Portugal. I have permanent residency. There was talk about it being no longer required...

By Robert Russell Monteith Paterson from Algarve on 09-11-2020 03:58

Its Good

By Hassan Raza Cheema from Lisbon on 08-11-2020 08:52

It's very good news. Thanks to Portugal

By Showpan Chowdhury from Alentejo on 08-11-2020 07:02

More legislation to encourage illegal immigration! Can’t wait until the elections to vote for Chega. First time ever I’m voting for a right wing party! I’m super disappointed with such awful policies! These polities are so anti Portuguese and will push so many people like myself that used to vote center-left to start voting extreme right wing parties and I am a millennium!

By Anna from Madeira on 08-11-2020 02:25

Hello sir mam my baby born in portugal in may. But i have only paper lock in sef in april. Can I apply for baby passport in portugal under this low.

By Jaspal Singh Thind from Algarve on 08-11-2020 12:04

It's good news for us foreign citizen here in Portugal,, may I know what are those requirements for applying portugues nationality for may baby birth here in Portugal?

By Janice from Lisbon on 07-11-2020 11:30

I'd like to receive copies of your newsletter in the various languages I have at least some knowledge of which you list: English; Spanish; French; Italian and German.

By Adrian Dean Whyatt from Beiras on 07-11-2020 07:37

About marrying a Portuguese resident can you please give me more information. Than you

By M Stotesbury from Algarve on 07-11-2020 06:56