Toxic smoke is spreading in residents' homes and establishments, especially when the wind changes of direction. One of the residents, Rob Thomson, who lives nearby, told The Portugal News that a month has passed, but the smell still enter his windows.

“The fire is still releasing toxic fumes. We cannot at certain times of the day have our windows open and we live a mile away. These fumes have caused substantial atmospheric pollution”.

“In these times of acute awareness with regards to air pollution how has this been allowed to happen? What is even more worrying are these plastic based fumes which contain dioxins, furans, mercury, etc. These are known carcinogens when exposure is significant and prolonged”, he added.

This situation is causing damages to businesses, since at restaurants, customers also complain about the smell, a restaurant owner told the CNN Portugal.

According to the same news source, the Algarve Regional Coordination and Development Commission announced the suspension of Inertegarve's waste management licence, but the fire continues to consume the rubbish and the smoke and smell continues to bother residents.


Paula Martins is a fully qualified journalist, who finds writing a means of self-expression. She studied Journalism and Communication at University of Coimbra and recently Law in the Algarve. Press card: 8252

Paula Martins