The Ageas Portugal Group have shared, in a statement sent to Notícias ao Minuto, ten practical tips that can help prevent damp in homes.
- 1. Open the windows daily for at least half an hour, especially at times of greater sun exposure so as not to compromise heating;
- 2. Evaluate the necessary improvements at home, for example, requesting an energy certificate – which will identify the works that must be carried out (for example, replacing window frames, covering ceilings and walls);
- 3. Turn on the extractor fan while cooking;
- 4. Avoid hanging clothes indoors;
- 5. Pull the bedding back, to breathe before making it again, thus minimising the appearance of mites and bacteria;
- 6. Choose to use a dehumidifier, if justified;
- 7. Apply varnish on raw wood surfaces, to waterproof it and prevent the creation of mould;
- 8. Look, if possible with the help of an expert, for cracks and possible leaks in pipes;
- 9. Clean the mould, if it already exists, with specific cleaning products, or with water with bleach;
- 10. If it turns out that the problem originates from common parts of the building, you may have to contact the condominium.
NZ is very damp. The advice there is: open the windows, dry the house out, warm the house up. It’s simple, and it works. Too many Portuguese houses are shuttered during the day.
By Ian from Beiras on 31 Jan 2023, 16:15
“If it turns out that the problem originates from common parts of the building, you may have to contact the condominium.” – For years I went to condominium meetings trying to highlight the problem of the outer insulation of the building. You see, walls cracking on the inside, rain entering through the window sill of my own room, - I sent the pics of the damage to the punk administrator that is still the current 1. Nothing was done. As I tried to prevent pb from getting worse by calling s.o. to try block the hole where rain was entering my house last year, this year cracks have begun again (I knew it, have been asking for proper building insulation works for a decade now, to no avail). The joke? These Administrators that did nothing to solve pb all these years still try to fool me by making it look in the meeting written summon like building insulation is a priority (almost year ago?), when all they want is another cattle head to vote for resolutions of far less urgent stuff that concerns them. Didn´t fall for the ruse, - a year has passed and nothing was done about this AGAIN. So I can´t even live with dignity within my 4 walls because SCUM RULES MY BUILDINGS´ ”ADMINISTRATION”. There are people living in better shacks than the “house” I live in, sad but true. Years and years of these people mocking away my misery.
By guida from Lisbon on 01 Feb 2023, 04:59