After something to satisfy that sweet tooth? This recipe couldn’t be easier and uses carob powder to add an extra dimension.
“This fudge is full of flavour and one of the most indulgent and easy to make sweet treats,” says plant-based food writer Rita Serano. “Make it in advance and keep it in the freezer, so you can have this treat on the table within minutes.”
(Makes 24 squares)
200ml sunflower seed butter
80ml maple syrup
4tbsp carob powder
1tsp vanilla extract
1. If your seed butter is very stiff, remove it from the jar and gently warm it in a pan on a low heat. Transfer to a food-processor, add the remaining ingredients and a pinch of salt and blitz until the mixture forms a ball.
2. Line a square baking dish with cling film. Press the fudge into the dish, distributing it evenly, then chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
3. Sprinkle a thin layer of cacao or carob powder on top using a fine mesh sieve.
4. Carefully remove the fudge from the dish and transfer it to a plate. Remove the cling film before cutting the fudge into 3cm squares.
Vegan In 7 by Rita Serano, photography by Laura Edwards, is published in paperback by Kyle Books. Available now.
A delicious cake which uses carob powder for a unique flavour and which the entire family will enjoy!
125g plain flour
5 tablespoons carob powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
For the icing
120g dried milk powder
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons carob powder
4 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4 and grease and flour a 20cm square cake tin.
2. Sift together the flour, carob powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and set to one side.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and honey until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then stir in the mashed banana. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the 175ml water. Pour the cake mixture into prepared tin.
4. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean then set aside to cool.
5. To make the icing: In a large bowl, cream the butter and honey until smooth. Blend in the milk powder, carob powder and water. Beat until smooth and spread on cooled cake.