SEF simplifies procedures for residence permit applications

in News · 29-05-2020 01:00:00 · 13 Comments
SEF simplifies procedures for residence permit applications

SEF will have simpler procedures for applications for the granting and renewal of residence permits, allowing them to “substantially” reduce service times at the counters for around 250,000 foreign citizens.

In a statement, the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF) states that the procedures envisage “mitigating the consequences that resulted from the health emergency situation, adopting exceptional and temporary measures that allow for a recovery of pending issues and an efficiency gain in the document management of foreign citizens”, said a spokesman from SEF.
SEF maintains that, in the context of pending applications for renewal of residence permits, the citizen does not need to go to a service desk and instead can make their request on the SEF Portal.
Subsequently, SEF will carry out all security consultations to confirm the suitability of the applicant, as well as consultations with the databases necessary to assess the fulfilment, by the applicant, of its tax obligations and before Social Security, explains SEF, adding that, after paying the fees, the citizen will receive a residence permit at his / her tax address.

In relation to requests for the granting of a residence permit with a visa waiver, citizens do not need to submit new documentary evidence, for this purpose, documents submitted together with the visa waiver request (expression of interest), regardless of expiration date, provided they are valid on the date of presentation, according to SEF.
With this measure, SEF foresees “a substantial reduction in the service times at the counter, which should decrease from 40 to 15 minutes”.
Meanwhile, according to a decree-law published this May, the approximately 130,000 immigrants who were provisionally settled in Portugal due to the Covid-19 pandemic will continue in this situation until 31 October.
The 130,000 foreign nationals who remained in good standing were those who had pending cases at SEF until 18 March, when it was decided to declare a state of emergency due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Comments:

Is asylum seekers among because before they state it in green light for immigrants and asylum seekers that asylum seekers are among but now I didn't hear anything about asylum seekers again I mean those in camp

by Jones Atta Boachie from Lisbon on 01-06-2020 04:06:00

Hi there just an query uhm I had my renewal in February and I still didn't receive my card yet so just wanna know when can I expect

by Zane Cassim from Lisbon on 31-05-2020 12:19:00

How can I change my residence permit from Germany to Portugal?

by Shahzeb from Other on 30-05-2020 04:41:00

Portugal is being more flexible for migrants, it's a cool decision for us who were waiting for a rapid actions against being delayed.

by NIRANJAN from Porto on 30-05-2020 08:01:00

I have already requested an apointment for renewing my resident permit online and SEF has sent me an email indicating when and where I should go. Now, my question is that whether SEF will automatically follow up my application or I have to make another request for renewing my resident permit?

by Jaber Ehdaie from Lisbon on 30-05-2020 12:31:00

I had maracaço 20 Mach but still they don't call me am confusion

by Ousman dukureh from Lisbon on 29-05-2020 10:50:00

Je voudrais savoir si tous les étrangers qui ont déjà déposé leur demande de permis de séjour auprès du sef Seront-ils régularisé au mois de juin ????

by Aliou from Lisbon on 29-05-2020 04:30:00

Pease let me know about the cancelled appointments for familly reunification?
In this situation what we have to do for the pending familly reunification requests? Our appointments are also cancelled due to Covid19

by Ebrahim from Porto on 29-05-2020 04:25:00

This is not simplification at all. Before, you had to make an appointment to submit your documents and they would send your new residency card by post within 3/4 weeks. Now you have no idea how long it’ll take after you send the documents online.

by M Rahman from Lisbon on 29-05-2020 03:16:00

This is an amazing initiative that surely seems helpful. It would bring down the chaos from the point of views of the citizens, immigrants as well as the authority. I am one of those who had applied for a tax residence in the first week of April. I previously had an NHR status. There is a clear cutoff date of 18th Mar, though I would like to understand the perspective on a few queries.
1. What happens to the applications that were applied on a later date beyond 19th Mar?
2. Is there a clarity on when the new process would start? I hear it's July 1st.
3. Is there a clarity on reduction in the timelines?
4. We already have 1 single verifiable document in the form of an ID. As a provisional there should be some kind of a provisional ID be created this way the other 100 accompanying documents won't be required. Verification of the documents needs a central database and not 3-4 different partners checking different accounts.
5. As an alternative through machine learning where there is facial recognition softwares, we could introduce a new path instead of having finger prints. Finger prints would require the attendance of both the authority and the applicant and is unhygienic. This could be far fetched though a great idea to introduce.

by Nat N from Lisbon on 29-05-2020 02:57:00

When it will come into force. All having confusion about it . Thank you

by BHUPINDER Singh Kalyan from Algarve on 29-05-2020 01:25:00

I am agree with SEF. Its a very good step for all guys.

by Hammad Zafar from Porto on 29-05-2020 10:15:00

Did we have to change our expair doucment ,because of us we don't hear at about our lawyer

by SAINEY Daffeh from Lisbon on 29-05-2020 08:23:00