“Surprise” at F1 no spectators revelation

By TPN/Lusa, in News, Motorsport · 19-03-2021 17:19:00 · 3 Comments

The president of Turismo do Algarve told Lusa today that he received "with surprise" the information about a possible absence of public in the Portuguese Grand Prix of Formula 1.

"It was with surprise that we received information about this alleged decision," said João Fernandes, in statements to Lusa, stressing that the information that the event will not be open to the public, revealed today in Expresso, "is not yet official and has not been confirmed” by the authorities.

According to Fernandes, Turismo do Algarve “is working with the Directorate-General for Health”, and with other institutions, and “will continue to do so” so that the presence of spectators can be a reality at the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve , in Portimão.

According to the Expresso newspaper, a government source reported that “until the end of this period of lack of definition”, events such as the final games of the 1st football league and the Formula 1 Grand Prix “will not have an audience”, contrary to what happened last year in the case of Formula 1.

João Fernandes gave the example of tests that will take place alongside the Portuguese stage of the Formula 1 World Championship - which takes place between April 30 and May 2, in the Algarve -, in countries such as Spain and Italy, which have the presence of public and are in “worse epidemiological situations” than the Portuguese.

Referring to the Formula 1 San Marino Grand Prix in Imola, Italy, which precedes the Portuguese round and takes place on April 18, and the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona on May 9, he noted that the authorities in those countries are “foreseeing less serious scenarios” than the one that is being worked on to guarantee an audience on the Portuguese track.

"The scenario in which we are working is more restrictive, but Portugal has an epidemiological situation better than that which occurs in these two places and the Algarve has an even better situation than the rest of the country", he argued.

The president of Turismo do Algarve guaranteed that the organisation “will continue to work” so that the events can have a public presence and will wait for the official decision of the Portuguese authorities, at a date yet to be defined.

In a joint statement with the Algarve Intermunicipal Community (AMAL) and three associations from the Algarve, Turismo do Algarve states that it has not received “any official communication from the Government regarding a decision on the presence of the public” at the Portuguese Grand Prix of Formula 1 ( F1).



Related articles


Comments:

The FI noise is appalling. How could they so badly affect the noise level of this track? It destroys the natural harmony. We hear it 20 KM away. Please please convert it to and Electric >FI race track as soon as possible.

By Christopher Henny from Algarve on 28-03-2021 08:57

The "Surprise" is that the president of Turismo do Algarve has obviously had his head buried in the sand over the past year. Thankfully, the government has learnt it's lesson over the relaxing of restrictions over Christmas that resulted in a new wave of infections. The scenes relayed on TV of hundreds of people, many not wearing masks or social distancing at the last FI event will guarantee that this is not allowed to happen again and the ban will remain.

By Greg from Other on 20-03-2021 09:39

How could they possibly be surprised after the fiasco that happened last time around?
The motley crowd ignored social distancing,ignored wearing masks,ignored officials and were probably key in the spread of the virus across the nation,

If they have to hold that dreadful polluting event in the already choking Algarve,do we then need tens of thousands of mostly diesel cars coming too?

No thanks.

By James from Algarve on 19-03-2021 05:41
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.