According to a report by SIC, the Republican National Guard (GNR) is in the process of investigating the situation.
A local resident told SIC, “this week at least two dogs ate contaminated meat: one was able to survive, the other ended up dying. Dogs, cats, sheep, the list is long.”
It's not just domestic animals and livestock that are affected. Animals such as foxes and eagles also die from these poisonings.
SIC states that “there are more than 40 traps spread across this hunting area. Those who place them do so in the early hours of the morning and use small pieces of chicken. The poison used is a pesticide banned in Portugal and is responsible for thousands of deaths.”
At least eight police investigations have already been opened by the GNR. During one of the investigations carried out at the site, one of the tracking dogs ended up becoming yet another victim of poisoning.