Awareness actions on the beaches this weekend

in News · 20-05-2020 14:21:00 · 0 Comments

The National Maritime Authority (AMN) will place almost all its personnel on Portuguese beaches this weekend, due to the forecast of high temperatures, in a preventive and sensitizing attitude, said a source from Navy.

Speaking to the Lusa agency, Commander Fernando Pereira da Fonseca, said that AMN will be on the beaches with personnel from various elements from the captaincies, the Shipwrecks Aid Institute and the maritime police.

“We are not going to have any special operations, what we are going to do is what we have done whenever the weather is warmer and the bathing season is not open, which is to put practically all of our personnel on the ground, both on the land and at seay, and carry out awareness-raising actions,” he said.

According to the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and the Atmosphere (IPMA), hot weather is forecast for the weekend, with maximum temperatures that in some regions will be above 30 degrees Celsius.

“It is obvious that people have been confined all this time and now they want to enjoy the beach, they want to go for a swim, but until 6 June the bathing season will not be open yet. For this reason, we are going to place personnel on the beaches in a preventive and sensitising attitude to prevent people from engaging in risky behaviour”, he said.

Commander Pereira da Fonseca recalled that the bathing season has not yet started and, therefore, the beaches do not yet have lifeguards, nor are safety devices placed on the beaches.

“What we want is for people to see us, to see the Institute for Aid to Castaways in the water, to see the patrols of the maritime police. But whenever the established rules are disrespected, we will act, but always in a constructive posture", he stressed.

The Government announced the measures to be adopted on the beaches during the bathing season from 6 June, under the deconfinition plan, which include, among other measures, the limitation of the capacity of bars and restaurants to 50 percent, as well as a possible reorganisation of the terraces to ensure the safety distance.

The physical distance between users must be 1.5 meters and between parasols, awnings or stems of 3 metres.

The decree-law that determined the calamity situation until 31 May allows “trips to assist vulnerable people”, to “enjoy moments outdoors, namely in parks, on the margins, on sidewalks, on the beaches, even if for bathing, or similar”.

On Tuesday, 19 May, the Minister of Internal Affairs was asked about which rules apply to anyone who wants to go to the beach until the beginning of the bathing season, and replied: “Until then, sunbathing and fresh air is compatible with the rules of physical distance”.

Eduardo Cabrita stressed that it is up to the Portuguese to ensure respect for the distancing rules and to avoid “gatherings”, because if necessary, the security forces “will fulfil their mission”.

Previously, AMN had mentioned, in a response sent to the Lusa agency, that the rules of physical distance are already in force in other sectors of society and the Portuguese have been able to respect them, hoping that the same attitude will be adopted on the beaches.

AMN also said that it will be on the beaches, starting on 6 June, "with a robust device", consisting of elements from the captaincies, Maritime Police and lifeguard stations, to ensure that people do not adopt "risky behaviours”.

The rules for accessing the beaches this summer, due to the covid-19, which were presented last week, are being discussed this week by the Ministry of the Environment and with all municipalities with a beach.


Comments:

Be the first to comment on this article
Interactive Topics, send us your comments/opinion on this article.

Please note that The Portugal News may use selected comments in the printed edition of the newspaper.