An Algarve regional command source told Lusa News Agency, around 07:45 am, that the fire had an active front to the south and to the southwest.
“As predicted on Monday, the strong wind continues. During the night several people were evacuated as a precaution, with no injuries to be recorded”, he said.
The same source added that until 8:30 am, aircrafts will be deployed to help fight the fire.
At 07:45 am, the fire, whose alert was given around 01:00 am on 16 August, mobilized 600 personnel, with the support of 205 vehicles.
A civil protection source had previously told Lusa that 58 people had been evacuated during the night to the population support zones, in "dispersed villages".
In addition to these, "there were more people who moved by their own means to the homes of family and friends", added the source of the Algarve regional command.
Two areas to support the population were created, in Azinhal, Castro Marim, and in Tavira.
On Monday night, the fire had already entered in the municipalities of Tavira and Vila Real de Santo António, with firefighters' priority being to halt expansion to the south, where there is more population.
The fire broke out at 01:05 am on 16 August and was considered under control by 10:20, but the "severe weather picture", with high temperatures and wind, was at the origin of a "very strong reactivation, in the middle of the period critical of the day, close to the head/right side of the original fire, and this was quickly out of extinguishing capacity”, explained the regional operational commander of Faro, Richard Marques.
The fire forced on Monday to cut the A22 between Castro Marim and Altura, as well as the National Road 125, between Conceição de Tavira and Vila Nova de Cacela.
The EN 125 was meanwhile reopened at 10:37 pm, continuing however with "conditioned" circulation, due to the passage of firefighting means, according to the Algarve regional command, the A22 remaining closed.