Photovoltaic solar energy was, according to REN, the source that grew the most last year, having exceeded for the first time the value of a terawatt-hour (TWh) of annual production.
The hydroelectric production index stood at 0.81 (below the average of 1) in 2019, with the last two months of the year improving dam production. In December, the production index reached 1.77.
In turn, the wind production index registered 1.05 in 2019, and 1.13 in December.
“The combination of these factors allowed a period of 131 consecutive hours, the longest ever, with renewable production exceeding consumption,” said REN.
Thus, in December 2019, all renewable production supplied 76 percent of national consumption (including export balance) and non-renewable production the remaining 24 percent.
The balance of trade with foreign countries relating to renewables was exporting (more was sold to Spain than was bought) and “was particularly high” in the last month of the year, equivalent to 19 percent of national consumption.