Commander Carlos Gomes said the victim's body was detected in the river at 10:45am, "in an area where the waters meet, following the search work that had already begun the day before."
The commander said that 22 men and seven vehicles from the Vila do Conde, S. Pedro do Sul and Porto rescue forces were involved in this morning's operations, as well as GNR soldiers.
The 19-year-old had disappeared on Tuesday, 9 March, late afternoon, on a river beach in Vila do Conde, where he was with friends playing American football.
The victim had entered the water to look for a lost ball, but, due to the strong current, he ended up disappearing, although his friends still tried to help him.
Although the search operations started on the day of the incident, even with low visibility, the body was only found today.