Planning meals for the festive season
- Prefer local ingredients, unprocessed and in season. This type of food has better nutritional value;
- Serve portions according to the Mediterranean Food Wheel;
- The quantity of food served on a plate should be 3/4 of vegetable origin and 1/4 meat or fish;
- Complement the meal with legumes. Legumes are very nutritious, rich in protein, carbohydrates and fibres which all contribute in controlling satiety. They also contain vitamin B-complex and minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus;
- Use herbs and spices for cooking instead of salt. Aromatic herbs are one of the main strategies for reducing salt in the daily diet;
- Prefer simple cooking methods such as stews, steamed or grilled food or oven roasts;
- Moderate the consumption of alcoholic and sugary drinks. Try preparing infusions and flavoured water to accompany meals.
TO REDUCE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION: FLAVORED WATER WITH ANISEED, ORANGE AND CINNAMON
• 1.5 Lt. filtered water
• 1 sliced apple with skin
• 4 to 5 orange slices with skin
• 2 aniseed star rings
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 slices of fresh ginger
• 10 fresh mint leaves
Mix all the ingredients in a jar and let stand for at least 1 hour.
BEFORE A MEAL: COLOURFUL SALAD
- 1 medium size packet sweet corn
- 1 mango cut up into small cubes
- 2 peeled green apples cut into cubes
- 1 unsweetened natural yogurt (200 g)
- Sea food
Place all ingredients in a platter and mix with natural yogurt. Serve cold.
SWEETEN WITHOUT SUGAR: PERSIMMON AND CHOCOLATE MOUSSE (FOR 6 PEOPLE)
• 500g ripe persimmons (for the mousse) + 2 laminated persimmons to decorate
• 100g bar of chocolate with a minimum cocoa content of 70%
• 1 cup ground nuts (e.g. almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts)
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler, let it cool and set aside. Peel the persimmons and mash, add the melted chocolate, ground nuts and cinnamon. Mix well and decorate with the laminated persimmons.
Enjoy the Christmas spirit and with our suggestions remain healthy.
For further information about nutrition from the HPA group please visit here.