Minister of Internal Administration, José Luís Carneiro spoke to journalists at the headquarters of the National Emergency and Civil Protection Authority (ANEPC), in Carnaxide, Oeiras, after a videoconference meeting with the ministers of National Defence, Labour, Solidarity and Social Security, Health, Environment and Climate Action and Agriculture and Food to reassess the situation.
"It is expected that from the 23rd there may be an upsurge in temperatures", said the minister, stressing that a new assessment will be carried out on Thursday, to decide whether to maintain or increase the alert level.
As for the possibility of some regions of the country being placed in the more serious category of state of contingency and others in a state of alert, the Minister of Internal Administration said that, "at this moment", this issue has not been evaluated by the entities that make up the National Civil Protection System.
José Luís Carneiro also highlighted that with the state of alert that bans continue relating to the access, circulation and permanence within forest spaces, previously defined in the municipal forest protection plans against fires, as well as on forest paths, rural paths and other roads that crossing them. As does the ban on burning and burning of leftovers from exploitation, as well as the ban on carrying out work in forest areas using any type of machinery, with the exception of those associated with situations of fighting rural fires.
However, noted the Minister of Internal Administration, this ban has an exception, which allows the harvesting of cereals between 07:00 and 11:00 and 18:00 and 23:00.
"[This exception] is intended to prevent the loss of cereal crops, which are scarce in the country, and to take advantage of these two days [until Thursday] of opportunity and also remove from the forest space materials that constitute a danger or threat of fire".