The nationwide state decree, which came into force last week, includes a night-time curfew and a half-day lockdown on weekend days across 191 of Portugal’s 308 municipalities. It is due to expire on Monday, but lawmakers are likely to approve the president’s request for an extension into the first week of December later today. A three-tiered system of coronavirus restrictions is on the table but the government said it would only announce new measures on Saturday.
Support The Portugal News
We are proud to provide our readers from around the world with independent, honest and unbiased news for free – both online and in print.
Our dedicated team supports the local community, foreign residents and visitors of all nationalities through our newspaper, website, social media and our newsletter.
We appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay for our services but if you are able to, we ask you to support The Portugal News by making a contribution – no matter how small.
More in News
Parliament prepares to renew state of emergency until end of February
In News - 20 Jan 2021, 17:18
State of emergency extended amid record daily COVID cases
In News - 07 Jan 2021, 16:00
More restrictive measures to come?
In News - 07 Jan 2021, 15:05
PS in favour of state of emergency
In News - 05 Jan 2021, 17:00
Costa says measures to be announced on Saturday will take effect until 7 of January
In News - 04 Dec 2020, 13:42
Christmas and New Year lockdown measures to be announced
In News - 04 Dec 2020, 01:00